Treatment of Psoriasis with Ayurvedic Therapy
Psoriasis is described as Kitibha in ayurvedic classical texts. The age group affected by psoriasis ranges between 25 years to 75 years. Psoriasis patches can range from a few spots of scaly patches to major eruptions that cover large areas of the body. The main symptom of Psoriasis is red or silver scaly patches caused due to excessive division of the cells in the basal layers of the skin. These silver or red scaly patches often cause severe itching and dryness of the skin. Sometimes it is found that only the area of the scalp is affected by Psoriasis. Psoriasis is also associated with symptoms like hyperacidity, stress, depression and lack of sleep.
The most common side effect of psoriasis is arthritis (known as psoriatic arthritis).
Causes of Psoriasis:
- As per the science of Ayurveda, the cause of psoriasis is the consumption of the wrong food combination, exercising immediately after consuming heavy food (like nuts, non-veg), constant contact with heat.
- Psoriasis is a psychosomatic disorder where emotions like anger, depression, frustration have taken over the body and mind.
- People having a strong pitta constitution are commonly affected by this disorder.
- Addiction to tobacco products, alcohol, narcotics etc.
- Poor lifestyle habits and no physical activity.
- Health conditions like Obesity, HIV infections, Hepatitis.
Diagnosis of Psoriasis:
- Nadi Pariksha – this helps in establishing the psychosomatic patterns, vitiated dosha, emotions responsible for the manifestation of the disorder.
- Analysis of the diet and lifestyle – food pattern, sleeping habits, physical activities are analyzed.
- Examination of the patient – the skin, scalp, nails are thoroughly examined by the Vaidya.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Psoriasis:
Psoriasis can be successfully managed with ayurvedic treatments. This involves herbal supplements, Panchakarma and Vedic counseling. The patient’s cooperation and willingness of taking responsibility for his health play an important role in the success of the treatment of psoriasis. Modifying the diet and bringing beneficial lifestyle changes as per the patient’s prakruti (original constitution) is an essential part of the treatment.
Panchakarma Treatment for Psoriasis:
This is therapeutically induced vomiting.
Benefits of Vamanam:
- It clears the excess mucous accumulation in the oesophagus and upper digestive tract.
- It clears the accumulated toxins in the stomach thereby helping in better metabolic activity.
- It relieves the accumulated stress, stored in the form of emotions in the heart and the glands in the region of the throat.
- It activates hunger, enhances diaphragmatic movement, leading to proper digestion.
It is a therapeutically induced purgation.
Benefits of Virechanam:-
- Release abdominal distension and evacuate accumulated gases
- Balances the tridosha ( three humours – vpk )
- Activates the function of Apana Vaayu
- Keeps the person grounded and restores mental and emotional balance. (the abdomen is a site for psychosomatic expressions connected with fear, anxiety, restlessness and in specific cases, agitation too. When Virechanam is introduced it removes these blockages from the channels and re-directs the energy- Apana Vaayu in the right direction. So a person feels calm, composed and finds himself in a peaceful, stable mental disposition.)
- Releases all undigested matter from the large intestine thereby rejuvenating the colon.
- It improves water metabolism
It is a continuous pouring (thick flow) of medicated oil or herbal decoction on the forehead with a special instrument called Dhara Yantra. In some cases of psoriasis, buttermilk infused with herbs is used for Shirodhara. It’s is known as Takradhara.
Benefits of Shirodhara:-
- Prevents hair fall and baldness, greying of hair
- Improves the subtle perceptibility of the sense organs
- Induces sound sleep
- Very effective in the management of stress
- Brings down blood pressure in a hypertensive person
- Useful in the management of cranial nerve disorder.
Indicated signs for Shirodhara :-
- Insomnia (sleeping disorder)
- Mental exhaustion
- Skin disorders
Vedic Counseling for Psoriasis Treatment:
Counselling based on Vedanta supports the Ayurvedic healing programs. Psoriasis is a psychosomatic disorder and healing of deep-seated emotions is the most essential aspect of the therapy. There are many a time in our lives when we feel blocked energetically; when there are issues and ideas that lacked clarity. When we discover that we are not living to our highest potential for manifesting our true desires, when we have emotions that we have trouble expressing, when we hold on to unhealthy thought patterns or fears that need expression, counselling becomes a powerful tool to overcome these hurdles.
As an Ayurvedic counsellor, we can assist you in bringing clarity and balance on an emotional and energetic level. Not only will we help you to heal past issues to facilitate release and create a safe and protected space for you to open in, but we also offer you follow up tools to do all of this yourself.
Pranayama For Psoriasis Treatment:
Pranayama practices are given either as a complementary therapy to counselling or as an independent treatment, depending upon the readings of energy patterns established in Nadi Pariksha. These practices are based on the tantra-shastra and are powerful in resolving one’s negative vibrations and bringing in positive thoughts and emotions.
Benefits of Pranayama :-
- Improved thinking and analytical functions
- Better focus and concentration
- Relieved Deep-seated emotional and psychological distress
- Better lymphatic circulation
- Corrections of breathing resulting in stress, anxiety, emotional instability
- Stabilised emotional turbulence
- Slower ageing of the body due to improved metabolism and brain functions
Herbal Medicines For Psoriasis Treatment.
Ayurveda is primarily based on herbal medicine. Ayurvedic Books explain herbal qualities and their energies in detail. Herbs address the effects on the body more directly than food, though they are milder and safer in action than chemical drugs. They can become very important tools for healing Psoriasis.
It is extremely important to understand here that Ayurvedic healing for Psoriasis stresses firmly on appropriate diets. On top of this, special herbs are helpful if they are dispensable. Diet has a specific role and provides the foundation on which herbs can work. Without a proper prescribed diet suiting your constitution, even the best herbs will be limited in their function on the system and show their healing effects slowly. Herbs are used for fine-tuning a diet and for shorter, but stronger therapeutic actions too.
Vedic Nutrition & Diet with lifestyle modifications:
Adopting a favourable diet and lifestyle is extremely beneficial for not only healing Psoriasis but also avoid the recurrence of the disorder. It may be a bit challenging for a person to adopt these changes at the initial stage and may take a fewer week to completely comprehend the whole concept of the modification. But the outcome is rewarding and long-lasting.
It is important to understand certain wrong food combination which can aggregate the condition of the disorder. Here are a few specific wrong combinations of food which can trigger the attack of the disorder.
- Avoid combining milk and fish.
- Avoid drinking water, juices, cold drink etc with food or immediately after food.
- Avoid consuming fruits with any food.
- Avoid having milk with fruits, bread, khichdi.
- Avoid yoghurt completely.
A meritorious alumna of the prestigious RA Poddar Ayurvedic College with profound spiritual understanding. She is trained in Nadi vidya by a strict guru-shishya lineage and has clinical experience with more than 15 years. An excellent orator who has been invited to various national and international platforms that empower audiences with the knowledge of Āyurveda. Dr. Rushalli Nair is the first-ever lady Vaidya who has been invited to Swaminarayan temple to offer her services to Sadhvis and devotees.